Browse by Category
Black Beauty® Delmarva Mid-Atlantic Grass Seed
- Specially formulated for the hot and humid climates of Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia
- 100% tall fescue blend that thrives in sunny and shady areas
- Grows a naturally thick, dark green lawn
- Germinates in 10 - 20 days
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (2)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Delmarva grass seed is a 100% tall fescue blend that is specially formulated for the hot and humid climates of the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States (Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia).
Black Beauty® Delmarva is a cool-season seed tall fescue blend that grows exceptionally well in hot environments. With roots that can grow up to 4 feet deep and a waxy leaf coating that (like the skin on an apple), Black Beauty® Delmarva preserves moisture and limits evaporation making our grass seed ideal for the Mid-Atlantic region. It also withstands heavy traffic, and naturally resists insects and diseases. It grows a naturally dark green lawn with high-quality tall fescue that outperforms Kentucky-31 Tall Fescue. It is ideal for lawns in full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun). Black Beauty® Delmarva is sure to provide you with a healthy, dark-green lawn for years to come. Seed germinates in 10 – 20 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,500 sq. ft
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,150 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,075 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 7,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 3,750 sq. ft.
- 50 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 15,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 7,500 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall Fescues
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: Cool-season grasses only
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 10 – 20 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
I had creeping bent grass in my lawn so I decided to take it down to dirt and reseed. I wanted a grass seed that could survive the hot humid summers of Maryland. I saw the Delmarva grass seed from JG and decided to give it a try. The grass started to come up in 10-14 day and filled in beautifully. I just need to see if it can handle the summer weather.
I recently decided to renovate a portion of my lawn using the Delmarva blend, and I am extremely pleased with the performance of this product. I have this beautiful, green, soft area of lawn which my wife is completely fascinated with. She\’s now insisting that I redo the whole lawn, and I totally agree.
Frequently Bought Together
4.52941176471 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
N/A out of 5
Top Dress™ Seedling Cover and Growth AcceleratorA completely weed-free, biodegradable green mulch that controls erosion when seeding.
4.75 out of 5
Winter Survival Fall Lawn FertilizerHigh potash formula lawn fertilizer that encourages deep rooting, winter disease protection & early spring green-up.