Successful lawn seeding can be accomplished by anyone, but there are things that can and will go wrong. Discover the best way to plant grass seed from the experts at Jonathan Green.
The Jonathan Green name has represented genetically superior grass seed, innovation, integrity, determination, and a commitment to lawn excellence since 1881.
Today, six generations later, we are industry leaders in organics and have developed an environmentally sound approach to lawn care called the New American Lawn Plan. The Plan combines our Black Beauty grass seed mixtures with organic and traditional soil amendments, lawn fertilizers and control products that feed your lawn AND your soil.
How to Plant Grass Seed
The best way to plant grass seed is to start with the right products and follow these simple steps from the experts at Jonathan Green:
- If you are dreaming of a beautiful, dark-green lawn with outstanding drought, disease and insect resistance, choose Jonathan Green Black Beauty® grass seed mixtures. This seed is specially formulated to have a waxy coating on the blades, similar to that of an apple, which makes the blades hold in moisture and resist drought and diseases. Black Beauty® grass seed is also endophytic, which means it’s naturally resistant to insects. With roots that grow up to four feet deep – far deeper than other grass seed varieties – you won’t be disappointed!
- Next, check the pH level of the soil. (You can purchase a pH tester from your local hardware or garden supply store.) MAG-I-CAL® is specially formulated to quickly raise or lower your soil’s pH to the ideal range of between 6.2 and 7.0. For pH that falls below 6.2, use MAG-I-CAL® for acidic soils to rapidly raise pH. For pH that is above 7, use MAG-I-CAL® for alkaline soils to lower pH. MAG-I-CAL® can be applied on the same day you seed.
- Now that you have balanced the pH of the soil, it needs to be loosened and aerated to promote root growth. This can be done with Love Your Soil®. This innovative soil treatment activates the microbes within the soil. Once activated, the microbes allow for nutrients to be easily absorbed by the grass roots, resulting in stronger, heartier grass. Love Your Soil® can be applied the same day as the grass seed and the MAG-I-CAL®.
- Fertilize before seeding with a starter fertilizer like Jonathan Green Green-Up Lawn Food for Seeding & Sodding and lightly rake the surface of the soil. This high phosphorus formula is specially formulated for seeding and sodding. It helps to build a vigorous root system and gets new grass plantings off to a fast start for a thicker, greener lawn.
- When seeding your lawn, seed-to-soil contact is the key to achieving maximum germination. Spread the Black Beauty®seed evenly by hand in small areas. Use a lawn spreader for larger areas. Avoid applying seeds too heavily or the seedlings will have to fight for space and nutrients, making the grass weak and thin in those areas.
- Lastly, keep the seed bed moist for a few weeks while the grass seed germinates.
If you would like more tips on the best way to plant grass seed, visit Jonathan Green online or your nearest independent retailer for reliable lawn and garden advice. Jonathan Green lawn products are only sold in hardware stores and garden centers. Buy from the knowledgeable lawn retailers who can help you achieve great results with your lawn.