Browse by Category
Corn Gluten Weed Preventer plus Lawn Food
- Safe to use around children and pets
- Better for the environment than other pre-emergent crabgrass preventers
- Controls crabgrass, dandelions, and over 25 other weeds prior to germination
- Provides gentle feeding and deep greening
- Can be used in flower gardens and in planting beds
- Spreader Settings
- Product Label
- Reviews (6)
Jonathan Green Corn Gluten Weed Preventer plus Lawn Food feeds the lawn while preventing crabgrass, dandelions, and over 25 other broadleaf and grassy weeds. For optimal results apply early in the spring- between March and early May- before weeds germinate. For improved weed control and greening apply up to 4 times a year, in early and late spring and again in early and late fall.
The key factor in achieving great weed control results with this product is the proper timing of the first application. This weed control must be spread on established turfgrasses before the weeds germinate because it is only effective before weeds break the surface of the soil. Do not use this product when seeding because it will affect the new grass seedlings as they germinate. Based upon the organic nature of Corn Gluten Weed Preventer it may take a few seasons to control severe weed populations.
When to Apply:
- The best time to apply is in early spring before target weeds, like crabgrass, dandelions or other broadleaf weeds germinate.
- For improved weed control and greening apply up to 4 times a year: in early and late spring, and early and late fall.
Weed control provided by this product is directly related to the proper application rate but will vary somewhat depending on weather, weed pressure, turfgrass competitiveness, location, and climate. It may take a few seasons to control severe weed populations. This product provides “pre-emergence” control meaning it must be used prior to weed germination
- For Lawns:
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader. To select the proper setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Apply around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- For Gardens:
- Spread Corn Gluten Weed Preventer on the surface of the soil after flowers or other plants have been planted.
- Incorporating this product into the soil will hurt the roots of the flowers, vegetables, and landscape plants in the garden.
- Sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- For best results, irrigate the treated area after application for 15 to 30 minutes and then allow it to dry for 2 to 3 days. Excessive rainfall or irrigation may require re-application for effective weed control.
- Do not seed for 60 to 90 days after application.
- 7.5 lb Bag – 2,500 sq. ft.
- 15 lb Bag – 5,000 sq. ft.
Can be used when seeding: No
Safe for Children & Pets: Yes
Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
Application Temperature Range: 50° – 80°F
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
When I had a new lawn installed I used Tru Green lawn service to get the lawn established. I never wanted the lawn to become chemical dependent and the cost was about $700/year. I found Jonathan Green’s Corn Gluten Weed Preventer plus Lawn Food as an alternative to Gardens Alive! Wow Plus, a similar product. Jonathan Green’s product was superior to Wow Plus at a lower cost and I am not dumping chemicals onto the lawn. I apply in March and see quick lasting green up and no weeds. While neighborhood lawns are loaded with dandelions, I don’t have a single one.
Worked great to feed yard and prevent weeds.
Ended up ordering more. Thought I bought the right amount but when it was spread on the lawn it didn’t cover nearly the Sq ft it said on the bag. I feel much better knowing my lawn is safer for little ones. I’ll most likely order next year and put down sooner.
Shipment was received in a timely manner. The product was easy to apply. So far the weed preventer is working, but will have to see what seeds the secondary water brings with it this year.
I only recently put this product on my lawn. Sadly it did not rain any time soon after it was applied and the lawn had to be mowed before the first rain. Therefore I think I may have wasted the product, sad to say. However, I love the idea of using natural products to improve your lawn and grass. I used a similar product last year and was happy with the results. Sadly, also, the weeds had already begun their growth so the pre-emergent aspect of this product did not apply even though application was at the recommended time (falling of the blossoms from the forsythia bush). But our spring weather this year was especially weird. Thank you
No visible changes
Frequently Bought Together
4.7105263157895 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
4.8297872340426 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® for Lawns in Acidic SoilConcentrated calcium soil food with humates that rapidly raises & balances soil pH.
4.5 out of 5
Organic Insect ControlProprietary blend of natural plant oils that kills over 100 surface feeding insects.
5 out of 5
Organic Lawn FoodAll-organic lawn fertilizer with 5 Plant & Animal proteins that safely feeds lawns for 10 wks.