Browse by Category
Season-Long Weed Preventer
- Controls crabgrass before and after it emerges! Up to the third leaf stage
- Contains Dimension® for season-long weed control protection
- Can be used near flower beds
- Safe to use around 100+ ornamental plants
- Spreader Settings
- Product Label
- Reviews (20)
Jonathan Green Season-Long Weed Preventer for lawns and landscapes contains Dimension®, a clear and odorless chemical that kills and prevents crabgrass both before and after it germinates – up to the 3rd leaf stage. At maturity crabgrass is a 7-leaf plant. Dimension® also stops more than 30 other grassy and broadleaf weeds from invading the lawn and garden beds if applied before the weeds germinate. The weed control lasts for the entire growing season. Crabgrass seeds germinate over many months, so if crabgrass has been a persistent problem, apply this product again in late-May to mid-June to stop these late germinating seeds from establishing. The easy to spread granules are also great to use to prevent weeds from growing around more than 100+ ornamental plants, all of which are listed on the product label.
When to Apply:
- Apply to crabgrass before and for four weeks after germination. For all other broadleaf weeds listed on the label, apply before they germinate.
- Spread this product summer through mid-fall (late August through early November) to control poa annua and crabgrass. When spread in the fall a second subsequent application must be made the next Spring.
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader to uniformly apply. To select the proper setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Apply around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- This product can also be used in flower and landscape beds if applied after the plants are established. Use a glove if spreading Season-Long Weed Control by hand.
- Sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- For best results, irrigate the treated area after application. About ½ inch of water is sufficient to activate the weed control.
- Once watered, wait a day to mow the lawn allowing the product time to activate.
- 10 lb Bag – 5,000 sq. ft.
- 30 lb Bag – 15,000 sq. ft.
Controls: Crabgrass and broadleaf weeds
Active Ingredient: Dithiopyr – Dimension ®
Can Be Used When Seeding: No
Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
Safe for Children & Pets: No
Application Temperature Range: 50° – 80°F
When to Use: Spring, Summer, Early Fall
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
I definitely laid it too late but the late winter/early spring season was cold/warm/cold/warm so obviously it did nothing for the crabgrass that sprouted super early but it did appear to slow down and stop other parts of the yard where crabgrass hadn’t popped up yet. I plan to use it again in the fall and give it another try.
looking forward to a beautiful yard
so far, i do not have any crab grass coming up, this is the first year Of using this product.
It really helped my PH levels in my lawn. Buy a soil tester for best results. You will need to stick with the product line for one year to see major changes in quality. Also re seed as needed.
Can’t rate it yet because it’s been too cold for anything to grow. Should be better to do this the spring.
Does a great job of preventing crabgrass. I have 90% less crabgrass sprouting than when using Halts preventer. A few weeds still make it though, but they’re manageable rather than overwhelming.
I put it on in February, and it still won’t let grass seed sprout in July (good for weed prevention. Bad for my bare spots!)
Worth a note that this is NOT a weed KILLER.
It must be applied before they sprout.
Rarely write reviews. If applied correctly, I did in early spring, this product works wonders. Crabgrass was a big problem last few years and if you dont stop it in the beginning, forget about it. Im only now starting to see crabgrass starting to come and thats only because I didnt have enough product to apply to a separate patch of lawn on diff side of my property. The difference between the two was vast, so it was a nice way to test the product.
Next year it goes on everywhere.
Worked well for me, but coverage was a stretch.
Worked wonders on my lawn!
Contains just dimension no fertilizer, perfect so I can put down a pre emergent and use a separate organic fertilizer. The 6% potash is to give weight to the dimension to carry it into the soil. I get it every spring, should be around 23$ wait for it to drop in price.
This is the second season I have ordered Jonathan Green & Sons Crabgrass preventer. I have tried the fertilizer/crabgrass preventer combination over the years as part of the 4-step fertilizing process over the course of the year with middling success. Using JG & Sons last year for the first time resulted in NO crabgrass in my yard for the first time ever. It is critical to apply during the sweet spot for your zone, which for me is a ground temp from 50-54 degrees. So you have a small window to work with, and be sure to follow the directions. I will continue to order this every year.
Does a very good job!!!
May have cut down on crabgrass by 50% or so as compared to last year, but it does not fully prevent. Not on my lawn anyway.
First time to try and followed easy directions. It worked great!!
I have to say its working really well. we had a ton of crab grass at the side of our house last summer. so far the lawn is clear.
Started using Jonathan Green products this year and my lawn is thanking me! Should have done this years ago…
Frequently Bought Together
5 out of 5
Grub & Insect ControlDual action control for surface feeding insects, a single application kills grubs all season long.
4.6666666666667 out of 5
Lawn Fungus ControlSystemic fungus control to prevent and cure 20+ lawn diseases such as dollar spot, brown patch, red thread, and more.
4.7179487179487 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
4.8297872340426 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® for Lawns in Acidic SoilConcentrated calcium soil food with humates that rapidly raises & balances soil pH.