Browse by Category
Touch-Up™ TRI-RYE Perennial Ryegrass
- Contains quick-germinating, turf-type perennial ryegrasses
- Germinates fast so it fills in bare spots and thickens the lawn quickly
- Great for overseeding entire lawns
- Incredible dark-green color
- Germinates in 7 - 10 days
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (13)
Jonathan Green Touch-Up™ TRI-RYE Perennial Ryegrass is a 100% premium perennial ryegrass blend. The three perennial ryegrasses in this mixture are all dark-green in color and fast to germinate so they fill in bare spots and thicken the lawn quickly. This mixture has been used on golf courses to overseed fairways, tees, and roughs for years.
This product is also used in the fall to overseed warm-season grasses such as bermudagrass which goes dormant and turns brown when the weather turns cold. Touch Up provides a green carpet during the winter months and recedes when the warm season grasses start growing again during spring. Touch Up™ is very tolerant of heavy traffic situations and contains beneficial endophytes making the lawn naturally insect resistant. This seed germinates in 7 – 10 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 3,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,750 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 12,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 6,250 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Perennial Ryegrasses
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Good
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 7 – 10 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Always use this. Works well.
IT DOES WHAT THEY SAY- FILLED IN A VERY LOT OF HOLES IN OUR LAWN IN NO TIME
Grass grew in some spots , not others.
I did my part and the seed came up.
Mediocre performance of this touch-up seed on my lawn in New England. Gave it a few months and I’ve seen about 50% coverage from where it was spread. All instructions were followed very carefully.
Grass looks good, watered daily. It will grow if you show it some love.
My grass is growing beautiful
Grows out strong. Great.
The grass seed worked very well on our parched lawn once we got lots of rain. With minimal effort we now have a green lawn. I’d buy this again.
Lots of grass! Amazed how well this seed worked in Jan & Feb. I tried a test patch and was shocked how well the seeds worked. Spread seeds on bare spots, covered with top soil and watered every day for 2 weeks. Highly recommend for filling bare spots.
I bought this seed early October (Connecticut) in an attempt to surprise my in-laws during a prolonged absence on their part. I sought to establish a patch of grass in a small area which my brother-in-law had previously used to dump whatever the back of his pickup truck carried. Clearly, due to the questionable timing of my seeding attempt (bit late in the season here) I was skeptical and held few expectations. For the sake of accuracy, I did cover the seeded patch with a Dalen Harvest Guard Row Cover, in an attempt to improve germination chances. Moreover, the weather did cooperate. Be it as it may, the seed performed wonderfully. When I removed the cover, 3-4 weeks later, a genuinely beautiful and full patch of lawn came to light.
Frequently Bought Together
N/A out of 5
Green-Up Fertilizer for Seeding & SoddingLawn Food for use on newly planted seed & sod producing healthy, deep roots.
4.625 out of 5
Lawn Fungus ControlSystemic fungus control to prevent and cure 20+ lawn diseases such as dollar spot, brown patch, red thread, and more.
4.6 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
2.5 out of 5
New American Lawn® Standard Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 9 inch tires that holds up to 40 lbs of product.