Look no further than Jonathan Green for information about when to overseed your lawn in Ohio and how to get the very best results.
Why Choose Us
Jonathan Green supplies genetically superior cool season grass seed, soil enhancers, fertilizer, and organic lawn and garden products to professional customers, such as sod growers and independent retailers, throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwestern United States.
We are also leaders in organics and have developed an environmentally sound approach to lawn care called the New American Lawn Plan. The Plan combines our Black Beauty® grass seed mixtures with a family of organic and traditional soil amendments, lawn fertilizers and control products that feed your lawn AND your soil.
Our Black Beauty® grass seeds are:
- Deeply rooted (up to 4 feet)
- Disease resistant
- Drought tolerant because of the invisible waxy coating that preserves moisture in the plant. The coating is similar to the wax on an apple.
- Dark green in color
- Uniform in leaf texture
- Contain Endophytes for natural insect resistance
- Looks and feels so much like Kentucky Bluegrass that even the pros have a hard time distinguishing Black Beauty from Bluegrass
Black Beauty® performs beautifully in both sunny and shady areas. It will improve the appearance and strength of any lawn.
When & How to Overseed Your Lawn
Overseeding lawns that consist of cool season grasses is essential for maintaining their long-term health and vibrancy. It is often the single best thing you can do to improve the quality of your lawn.
The absolute best time to overseed your Ohio lawn is in the early fall. This will give the young grass two or three months to get established before temperatures get too cold and growth stops. Next spring, the growth of the grass roots will accelerate as soon as the soil temperature warms to 55 degrees. By the time the summer heat kicks in, your lawn will have developed deeper roots to handle the stress.
If you want the best-looking grass, be sure to choose the highest quality grass seed. We highly recommend overseeding with either Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Ultra grass seed mixture or Black Beauty® Fall Magic™ grass seed mixture:
- Black Beauty® Ultra is most similar to what is found on sod farms. The mixture contains exclusive, elite varieties of tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass. These cool season grasses grow a naturally dark-green and beautiful lawn with excellent heat and drought tolerance. Black Beauty Ultra® grass seed germinates in about 14 days and will improve any lawn it is overseeded into.
- Black Beauty® Fall Magic™ has been specially formulated for successful fall seeding and contains several cool season grass types, including Black Beauty® tall fescues. It can be used in sun and shade lawn areas on established lawns or to start new lawns from scratch. Black Beauty® Fall Magic™ repairs summer damage and provides an attractive, thicker, greener lawn, with germination in 10 to 14 days.
How to Get the Best Results
The key to successful overseeding is having good seed-to-soil contact. Rake out any dead grass and loosen compacted soil about an inch deep to give the new grass roots a better chance to grow in the exposed soil. If your lawn area is large, consider renting a slit seeder, aerator or de-thatching machine.
If your soil has a low pH, apply MAG-I-CAL® to increase the pH level to a 6.2 to 7.0 range for optimum growth. It will also help the lawn grow greener and healthier.
This is also a great time to apply Green-Up Lawn Food for Seeding and Sodding, our high phosphorus formula that helps build a vigorous root system and gets new grass plantings off to a fast start.
When you plant Jonathan Green Black Beauty® grass seed in the early fall in Ohio, you can look forward to a thicker, denser and greener lawn that is easy to maintain and the envy of the neighborhood. Visit us online or find your nearest retail store.