Browse by Category
Black Beauty® Sun & Shade Grass Seed
- Our best selling grass seed mixture
- Grows well in either full sun or partial shade
- Naturally insect and disease resistant
- Fills in bare spots and thickens the entire lawn
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (0)
Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Sun & Shade Grass Seed is our best selling Black Beauty® grass seed mixture because it performs exceptionally well in either full sun or partial shade growing conditions. This mix is perfect for overseeding and will fill in bare spots quickly to improve the appearance of an entire lawn. Sun & Shade contains the four families of cool-season turfgrasses: turf-type tall fescues, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and fine fescue, making this our most versatile grass seed mixture. This seed germinates in 7 – 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 1 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 375 sq. ft.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,125 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 5,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 2,625 sq. ft.
- 15 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 11,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 5,625 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 18,750 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 9,375 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Perennial Rye, Kentucky Bluegrass & Fine Fescue
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Excellent
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 7 – 14 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Perfect this grass seed.
I tried from home depot but doesn’t work.
Only Jonathan Green product is worked..
Even when I just spread on the garden it
After a few days growing up..
I love it…
I am happy with this grass seed. It grew fast and is very green. Make sure top 3 inches or so of soil is loose and not compacted and water regularly. I will buy again
Working great. Thanks got the patching. Lawn looks great!
Sprouted in the sun and shade, good soil and bad, including a large area around a patio we just built. If nothing else it appears to be holding the fort until the native grass moves in.
Winter has come and gone and this grass persisted and is pressing on nicely.
These grass seeds work! Make your dead brown winter lawn…dark green and healthy looking with Black Beauty rye grass seed of dark green! I put these seeds out where there was no summer grass…in a few days…sprouts of green popped up! Now the rye grass is spreading to the dead summer grass. I have never seen snow on green grass before! Just beautiful! Just be sure to water it…after you put out the seeds. We now have the prettiest and greenest winter lawn in OUR area! Sit back and enjoy your beautiful fall and winter lawn. Sooooooo very EASY to use and do! Take pride in growing a healthy lawn, DIY!!!!
This a truly good grass seed. I have tried them all. Expensive but worth the money
Very fast germination
BEST, BEST, BEST GRASS SEED EVER!
Wow! Germinated in 5 days and is still growing strong after 4 weeks! Just keep it damp and don’t let it dry out.
Seed sprouted well and has filled in nicely.
So many to choose from. Choose this with confidence
Works very well!
I planted this seed about 3 weeks ago, and I can see the blades coming up… it’s not totally grown out yet, but I’m pleased. The blades are very straight and narrow compared to what most people grow around here – which is fescue.
Focus on where you can see the grass in the pics. There is grass growing everywhere, but given the lighting, only the ‘patches’ that are really concentrated can be seen in the picture. But when you walk around and see it in person, there are blades everywhere. It looks very promising.
I will revisit this review after 3 months, when the lawn should be fully, fully grown out. But for those who want to see what this looks like 20-25 days after planting, and even after very strong storms, here are some pics.
Grass looks great!
Great success in using it. High and fast rate of germination.
Grew well in Massachusetts in early fall. Four stars because there were patches. I suppose a five star grass would be perfect.
Sprouts fast, just what I needed.
This is the best grass seed we have tried. And we have tried several. It is night and day better than Scott’s.
Frequently Bought Together
4.5555555555556 out of 5
Green-Up Fertilizer for Seeding & SoddingLawn Food for use on newly planted seed & sod producing healthy, deep roots.
4.6944444444444 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build top soil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
4.8297872340426 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® for Lawns in Acidic SoilConcentrated calcium soil food with humates that rapidly raises & balances soil pH.
5 out of 5
New American Lawn® Deluxe Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 12 inch tires that holds up to 60 lbs of product.