Browse by Category
Blue Panther® Kentucky Bluegrass Grass Seed
- Use for reseeding a lawn originally sodded with Kentucky Bluegrass
- Grows a dark-green, sod quality lawn that fills in bare spots quickly
- Contains durable and hearty Kentucky bluegrasses that withstand high traffic
- These bluegrasses are grown by leading sod growers across the USA
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (3)
Jonathan Green Blue Panther® Kentucky Bluegrass Grass Seed grows a sod-quality lawn from seed. Use this seed mixture to overseed a thinning lawn that was previously planted with Kentucky bluegrass sod. Blue Panther® contains the very best Kentucky bluegrasses currently grown by leading sod growers and on golf courses across America.
Blue Panther lawns are dark-green in color, very uniform in leaf texture, and can withstand high traffic. Kentucky bluegrass has a horizontally spreading rhizome root system which results in bare spots being filled in, thickening the entire lawn. Use our Blue Panther® when you want to keep a 100% Kentucky bluegrass lawn. This seed germinates in 21 – 28 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 4,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 2,400 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 40,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 20,000 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrasses
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Fair
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 -8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Good
Insect & Disease Resistance: Fair
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 21 – 28 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
I got tired of buying coated grass seed that was 75% seed 25% coatings. Made the switch and couldn\’t be happier. Prep is key, I power thatched first then used the slit cut attachment to cut my soil. Over seeded using Blue Panther, Germenation was as stated, about 21 days, however got better as time went on. I estimate about 95% germination after 40 days. Nice strong growth, great dark color. Will be doing a fall over seed with this as well. No more over spending for a coated product. This seed is fantastic.
This is the best, no other can match.
Bought for re-seeding small patches.
Frequently Bought Together
5 out of 5
Grub & Insect ControlDual action control for surface feeding insects, a single application kills grubs all season long.
4.4666666666667 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
5 out of 5
New American Lawn® Pro Rotary SpreaderPro spreader with large 12 inch tires that holds up to 100 lbs of product.
4.8571428571429 out of 5
Green-Up Lawn FertilizerQuick green-up formula that slowly releases nutrients into the soil for less surge growth and less mowing.