Browse by Category
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Alkaline & Hard Soil
- Natural soil food for lawns with alkaline soil
- Loosens hard soils
- Promotes air and water penetration for deeper rooting
- Helps to rapidly lower soil pH to increase grass nutrient absorption
- Spreader Settings
- Product Label
- Reviews (1)
Jonathan Green’s Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Alkaline & Hard Soil contains sulfur and calcium sulfate dihydrate which lowers soil pH, is important to cell development and is vital to many grass plant functions. Poor soil that is hard and compacted is often the problem when it comes to growing a great lawn.
When soil is too alkaline and compacted, air, water and nutrients cannot get down to the roots, and the grass will not grow properly. Lawns thrive in slightly acidic to neutral soil with pH levels between 6.2 and 7.0. In soils with pH readings of 7.0 to 9.5, weeds thrive and grass becomes light green and spindly. Additionally, Mag-I-Cal® Plus helps to break up clay and compacted soils. This improves root penetration and promotes growth by increasing biological activity and releasing nutrients trapped in the soil.
When to Apply:
- Best applied during the growing season when the soil is not frozen.
- Safe to apply when seeding or sodding.
- Spread the product on a dry lawn soon after mowing.
- For best results, rake the lawn vigorously prior to application.
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader. To select the proper setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Apply around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow an overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- To avoid staining, sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- Irrigate the treated area after application for 15-30 minutes for best results.
- Once watered, wait a day to mow the lawn to give the product time to activate.
- For soils with a pH higher than 7, repeat applications twice a year.
- 18 lb Bag – 5,000 sq. ft.
- 54 lb Bag – 15,000 sq. ft.
Fortified with: Calcium sulfate dihydrate, humic acid, fast acting gypsum, and humates
Can Be Used When Seeding: Yes
Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
Safe for Children & Pets: Yes
Application Temperature Range: 55° – 85°F
When to Use: Spring, summer or fall
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
Very pleased with this product. My lawn was in very poor condition, covered in several different weeds and bare spots. Prior to applying the soil food, I prepared the lawn; pulled all the weeds and raked my lawn, in the front and backyard. I mowed the lawn and did not water it for 5 days to make sure the soil was dry as recommended, then applied the soil food manually (didn’t have a spreader at the time), by mid June. I didn’t do anything else except for deep watering my lawn twice a week the whole summer. I had thought about over-seeding at times in summer, but then wanted to wait until fall, and now I see that I don’t need to plant grass seeds. About a few months later, now in fall, a thick healthy grass has been taking over all the weeds and bare areas. I’ll apply the soil food once a year in spring from now on.
Frequently Bought Together
4.8403041825095 out of 5
Black Beauty® Dense Shade Grass SeedShade tolerant Black Beauty varieties that grow well under trees in up to 70% shade.
4.7333333333333 out of 5
Black Beauty® Sunny Grass SeedDrought tolerant & naturally insect resistant Black Beauty varieties for full sun areas.
4.5555555555556 out of 5
Green-Up Fertilizer for Seeding & SoddingLawn Food for use on newly planted seed & sod producing healthy, deep roots.
4.75 out of 5
Soil pH Test KitEasy to use kit that quickly determines soil pH. Get results in only 10 minutes!