Browse by Category
Contractor's Grass Seed
- Ideal for soil stabilization
- Use for temporary lawn seeding
- Contains annual ryegrass which germinates in 7 days
- Grows in full sun to medium-shaded lawn areas
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (16)
Jonathan Green’s Contractor’s Grass Seed is the ideal grass seed mixture for soil stabilization or temporary lawn seeding. Contractor’s mix contains annual ryegrass so it germinates quickly and provides a fast grass cover. It is most often used by new home builders to establish a lawn quickly because it provides an excellent value for the price. Contractor’s Mix can be overseeded with any Black Beauty® Grass Seed Mixture to grow a lawn that will persist for years to come. This seed germinates in 7-10 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 6,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 3,250 sq. ft.
- 50 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 13,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 6,500 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Ryegrasses
Grass Color: Green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Fair
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Fair
Insect & Disease Resistance: Fair
High Traffic Tolerance: Fair
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 17 – 14 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
reseeding.quickest and best fill in in 25 years.
We’ll see if it sticks but I’ve never seen germination in only 4 days!
I Overseeded and used for dry spots.. better then any other seed I have tried.
Trying to make the grass grow
Did not get to use last year when I bought it. Beginning of April I aerated and seeded. My lawn is now a bright green.
Covered very well. I will buy again for over seeding. Great product. Review a little late but time fly’s by.
Over seeded (Heavily) my 1/4 acre last fall. Within a few weeks it germinated and took off… IN WINTER!. I couldn’t cut it due to the weather and it not only kept growing, mine was the only green lawn in the neighborhood (TENNESSEE). Now that its grass cutting season, it still grows 4-6″ a week. The only odd thing is the grass is a light shade of green opposed to a deep green in the surrounding area/lawns. Not a bad thing, I just figured green was green…
just used it
Easy spread. Planted in Feb
Looking for grass growth in Spring
Product as described and fast delovery
Worked like it said. To much ryegrass. Needs more permanent grass. Worth the buy
worked great or what I needed it or. Threw it on ground around our new pond and it grew without no cover up
Don’t know yet Just planted yesterday
Best grass seed out their
GREAT DEAL FOR THE MONEY,STARTS TO GROW VERY FAST. GREAT FOR FIXING UP A BAD LAWN
Frequently Bought Together
4.8333333333333 out of 5
Green-Up Lawn FertilizerQuick green-up formula that slowly releases nutrients into the soil for less surge growth and less mowing.
4.5714285714286 out of 5
Lawn Weed ControlWeed control, with Trimec technology, use to control 200 + broadleaf weeds.
N/A out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
N/A out of 5
New American Lawn® Hand SpreaderLight weight and easy to use. Ideal for grass seed, fertilizers & ice melters.