Browse by Category
Crabgrass Preventer plus Green-Up Lawn Fertilizer
- Fertilizer analysis: 20-0-3
- Feeds the lawn for up to 3 full months
- Kills crabgrass both before and after germination
- Clear & odorless herbicide that does not stain hands, shoes or walkways
- Same season-long results as other crabgrass preventers with fewer harmful active ingredients
- Spreader Settings
- Product Label
- Reviews (7)
Jonathan Green Crabgrass Preventer plus Green-Up Lawn Fertilizer feeds the lawn for up to three full months and provides pre-emergent control of crabgrass. When applied prior to germination it controls other weeds such as goosegrass, dallisgrass, chickweed, henbit, and oxalis.
This product contains an advanced herbicide known as Dimension® that provides postemergence control, meaning it will kill existing weeds, such as crabgrass, even after they germinate. Postemergence control is limited to crabgrass and is effective for up to four weeks post-germination. It will only kill the plant up to the 3-leaf stage of growth; a fully mature crabgrass plant has 7-leaves.
When to Apply:
- Apply in the spring prior to germination of crabgrass and other grassy weeds.
- Best time to apply is from late February through mid-May depending on region.
- Spread this product a day or two after mowing and when the lawn is dry.
- Do not apply when seeding or under newly laid sod.
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader.
- Check that the spreader opening at the bottom of the hopper is closed.
- To select the proper spreader setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Push the lever forward only when ready to spread.
- Apply fertilizer around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow an overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- Sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- Thoroughly irrigate the treated area after application for best results. About 1 ½ inches of water per week is sufficient between rainfall and irrigation, but not to the point of run-off.
- Once watered, wait a day to mow the lawn allowing the product time to activate.
- 15 lb Bag – 5,000 sq. ft.
- 50 lb Bag – 15,000 sq. ft.
Can Be Used When Seeding: No
Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
Safe for Children & Pets: No
Application Temperature Range: 50° – 75°F
When to Use: Spring or early fall
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
I recently started using Jonathan Greene products. Last Fall, I over-seeded with Black Beauty and also applied their winter fertilizer. On April 1st, I applied Green-Up with crab grass preventer. The results are amazing! My neighbor uses an expensive lawn fertilizer company ($1400/yr for 8 applications) and for many years his lawn looked much nicer than mine. For the first time in 15 years, because of Jonathan Greene, at a fraction of what my neighbor spends, my lawn looks thicker, greener, and more lush. I am sold on Jonathan Greene products!
The large hard granules in this product don’t work well with my drop spreader. The granules can’t get through the opening for the prescribed setting.
JG Response: For any spreader to be completely accurate, it should be calibrated to each product individually. Suggested settings are only a guide. Please see our FAQ on how to do this.
Hello, My Lawn size is about 6000 Sq ft. It would have been nice if your product also comes in 1000 sq ft, so people can buy 5000sq ft+1000 sq ft, for those having lawn smaller than 10,000 sq ft. Hopefully we can find product in 1000 sq ft soon. -Thx, Nimish
Bag said my Scott’s rotary setting was 7. Didn’t cover area ,had to buy more. Checked web sight today and found setting listed as 5. Some difference!
JG response: Please email us through our FAQ site for help with this issue.
Love it. Really good for grass
This is a high quality superior product…my grass is dark green already ..
works great. will by again
Frequently Bought Together
5 out of 5
Lawn Moss ControlMoss control with 50% more active ingredient for faster and longer lasting control.
4.3333333333333 out of 5
Lawn Weed ControlWeed control, with Trimec technology, use to control 200 + broadleaf weeds.
4.6 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
2.5 out of 5
New American Lawn® Standard Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 9 inch tires that holds up to 40 lbs of product.