Browse by Category
Wildflower and Meadow Grass Mix
- Contains at least 25 beautiful wildflowers
- Meadows grasses and birdsfoot trefoil pop in color and sway in the breeze
- Perennial flowers will bloom, reseed themselves and increase every year
- Perfect for creating a natural landscape with little maintenance
- Reviews (5)
Jonathan Green’s Wildflower and Meadow Grass Mix contains over 25 annual and perennial wildflowers, hard fescue grass seed, and birdsfoot trefoil creating a beautiful wildflowers and meadow grass landscape. This seed mixture has the ability to reseed itself and birdsfoot trefoil grows bright yellow flowers. This is the ideal seed mixture to plant in areas that you don’t want to mow, such as on slopes or in poor soils that you can’t maintain.
The annual wildflowers produce flowers the first year and the perennial wildflowers will reseed themselves, providing even more color and beautiful blooms every year after. The flowers in this mixture like full sun best but some grasses, such as hard fescue and birdsfoot trefoil, will grow in partial shade. Wildflower and Meadow Grass Mix does not need to be fertilized. This seed germinates in 21-40 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Select – Pick a sunny, well-drained site where wildflowers will thrive. When wildflowers are planted in low-lying, poorly drained, moist areas, weeds will outcompete the wildflowers.
- Apply – Apply a herbicide to eliminate any vegetation which may compete with the wildflowers.
- Mow – Mow or cut down existing or unwanted vegetation as short as possible, then clear away from the site.
- Rake – Rake to loosen the surface of the ground, of the planting area, with a metal rake to a maximum depth of one inch, remove any debris, then smooth out any depressions to make the seedbed level.
- Combine – Combine the seed with a carrier such as sand or a new seeding fertilizer.
- When to apply – Wildflower seeds are best planted in May or June but maybe spread in late November through December as well. When spread before a snowfall, the seeds will lie in the ground dormant until germination occurs when the soil temperatures rise in the spring.
- Seed – Use a spreader to seed in two directions, north to south and east to west.
- Rake seed – Press the seed into the soil by walking or using a lawn roller. Do not cover the seed deeper than one-sixteenth of an inch. Some of the seeds will be visible.
- Water – Irrigate the seeding with ½ to 1 inch of water weekly for the first 4 – 6 weeks until the wildflowers establish.
- 1 lb Bag
- Covers up to 1,000 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Wildflowers, Fine Fescues, & Birdsfoot Trefoil
Grass Color: Green, Wildflowers multiple colors
Recommended Planting Months: For Wildflowers
- April through June
- Mid-November through December
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Fair
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Water Requirements: Keep irrigated until established (spring planting only)
Drought Tolerance: Fair
High Traffic Tolerance: Poor
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 21 – 40 days
Used this to create a miniature wildflower garden in a 6’ x 30’ raised bed. The first year growth is amazing with a nice grass undergrowth. I started with a clean planting area and raked the top 1 inch of soil to make grooves, threw down seed, and walked over them to set. Do not use any fertilizer! Watered until established then ignored for the summer. More zinnias, bachelor buttons, and cosmos than you can shake a stick at. Nothing but multicolored flowers throughout the growing season. Wife isn’t happy about the grass in the mixture, but the baby rabbits sure are plus it helps smother the occasional weed. Looks best when left to its natural devices. Highly recommend!
Birdsfoot trefoil is an invasive species. Would suggest removing it from this mixture. not hard to have native only wild flowers.
JG response: Birdsfoot trefoil is a perennial that adapts well to production on poorly drained, low-pH soils which is why it was chosen. It can become invasive if not taken care of like many other plants. To keep it in check, small plants can be dug up, but all of the roots must be removed to prevent it from resprouting.
Yes it is primarily annual grass, but having tried several perennial and annual options and having wasted a ridiculous amount of money doing so to get anything at all to grow in my dry, porous lawn that faced years of grub and chemical damage before I took it over. It is easy to spread, grows super fast, stays green. Last year I over seeded in the fall with perennial grass and filled and put down some fresh soil and this year filled in the bare spots with this. I will have to do the same thing in the fall but at least it is not an embarrassing mess, especially compared to the people accross the street who manicure part of their lawn with scissors.
Didn’t use the seed until 2 years after purchase, but kept unopened and stored in closet. Put the seed down in late June so bit of a late start, and watered a few times since no rain. I used half the package in an area 6 ft by 22. Lots of sweet alysum and bachelor buttons, some poppies, zinnias and a few others. It’s mid November and they are still going- withstood a couple frosts and new plants are starting to flower- not sure which, but look to be perennials. Once the plants got established it was no maintenance (water) and out competed the weeds. I planted some ornamental kale and mums in planters, and it all is making a beautiful fall garden. I will plant another area next year and supplement with a few native perennials from the nursery.
These wildflowers are AMAZING. I’ve tried other brands and nothing so far has come close to the quality of these flowers.
Frequently Bought Together
4.73170731707 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
N/A out of 5
New American Lawn® Hand SpreaderLight weight and easy to use. Ideal for grass seed, fertilizers & ice melters.
4.6 out of 5
Organic Insect ControlProprietary blend of natural plant oils that kills over 100 surface feeding insects.
5 out of 5
Organic Lawn FoodAll-organic lawn fertilizer with 5 Plant & Animal proteins that safely feeds lawns for 10 wks.