Browse by Category
Black Beauty® Golden State California Grass Seed
- Specially formulated for California lawns
- Extreme drought and heat tolerance up to 100°F
- Premium mixture of turf-type tall fescues and Texas Bluegrass
- Grows dark green, drought-resistant, and highly durable lawns
- Grows well in both sunny and/or shady areas
- Germinates 14 - 21 days
- Spreader Settings
- Product Label
- Reviews (0)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Golden State California Premium Grass Seed Mixture is an extremely drought and heat-tolerant grass seed mixture specially formulated for lawns in California. It contains a Texas Kentucky Bluegrass hybrid and Black Beauty® turf-type tall fescues which makes it perfect for sunny and/or shady areas in California. Black Beauty® Golden State Grass Seed can withstand very hot temperatures, up to 100°F, and produces natural dark-green turf.
This mixture will grow a dark-green, drought-resistant, highly durable lawn making it ideal for lawns located throughout California. Like our other Black Beauty varieties, Golden State Grass Seed Mixture can grow roots up to four feet deep, contains a waxy leaf coating to preserve moisture, displays a uniform (not clumpy) growth habit, and naturally withstands insects and diseases.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Test your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55°+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water lightly each morning to keep the seedbed moist. In sandier soils that dry out quickly watering more than once a day may be needed. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 5,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,750 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Turf-type Tall Fescues and Texas Bluegrass
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Excellent
High Traffic Tolerance: Excellent
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 14 – 21 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
Frequently Bought Together
4.5 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Alkaline & Hard Soil – 5,000 sq.ft.
4.5 out of 5
New American Lawn® Deluxe Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 12 inch tires that holds up to 60 lbs of product.
5 out of 5
Organic Lawn Food – 15,000 sq.ft.