If you are looking to transform a bare patch of land into dark green grass, you may be wondering when to plant grass seed in Connecticut. Grass can be planted in the spring, but weeds may take over your lawn. At Jonathan Green, we recommend planting cool season grass in early fall.
Jonathan Green is a leading supplier of top-quality cool season grass seed, soil enhancers, fertilizer, and organic lawn and garden products to sod growers and independent retailers, including garden centers and hardware stores, throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic Midwestern and Western United States.
When to Plant
If you are determined to have a green lawn by summer, you could plant grass seed in Connecticut in late April or early May, as long as the danger of frost has passed.
A better time to plant grass seed is early fall (mid-August to mid-September). Warmer soil temperatures (55° to 65° F) and consistent rainfall at this time of year encourage faster seed germination and deeper roots that will help the grass plants get established before winter sets in. You will also have less competition from summer weeds, such as crabgrass.
When spring arrives, the grass plants will develop even deeper roots, grow thicker, and develop food reserves that will prepare them for surviving the summer stress.
Use the Best Grass Seed You Can Find
Ideally a grass seed should consist of several varietals, be drought-, disease- and insect-resistant, and establish deep roots. Finding all these qualities in a grass seed is difficult, but Jonathan Green Black Beauty® grass seed does it all!
Used by leading sod growers across the country, our genetically superior Black Beauty® grass seed creates a lawn full of grass that:
- Has deep roots that can grow up to 4 feet deep for superior heat resistance;
- Features an invisible waxy leaf coating that wards off disease and locks in moisture;
- Is dark green, lush, and uniform;
- Grows well in clay or sandy soils;
- Grows well in both the sun and shade;
- Is endophyte-bred for natural insect resistance.
Before you plant your grass seed mixture, make sure that you also have the following Jonathan Green products on hand:
- MAG-I-CAL® Soil Food – Test your soil to ensure the pH is between 6.2 and 7.0. If it’s not, MAG-I-CAL® can be used immediately before seeding (and continuously until you improve the pH level adequately) to help balance the pH and, at the same time, help the lawn grow greener and healthier.
- Love Your Soil® – If your soil is very hard or compacted, Love Your Soil® will loosen it. It will also feed the soil microbes, making the soil more alive and porous. With more porous soil, air, water and roots can move more easily from the surface deep-down through the soil.
- Green-Up Lawn Food for Seeding & Sodding – This high phosphorus formula is specially formulated for seeding and sodding. It helps to build a vigorous root system and gets new grass plantings off to a fast start for a thicker, greener lawn.
Once the grass has grown at least three inches, it is ready to be mowed. We call this giving the grass a haircut; it invigorates the young grass and causes the root system to grow deep.
Plant grass seed in Connecticut and use high-quality Jonathan Green products to achieve the best lawn in the neighborhood! When you are ready to get started, visit us online or find your nearest independent home and garden retailer.