Browse by Category
Black Beauty® Lawn Repair for Sun & Shade
- Quickly patch and repair stubborn bare spots
- All-in-one solution containing Black Beauty® grass seed, lawn food & seed establishment mulch
- Keeps seedbed moist while concealing seed from birds
- Low maintenance - the mulch is absorbed by the soil, so there is no need to remove it once the grass grows in
- Product Label
- Reviews (18)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Lawn Repair for Sun & Shade Areas is your all-in-one bare spot patching solution. This mixture repairs stubborn bare spots quickly and seamlessly blends into existing lawns.
This mix contains 20% more grass seed and covers more bare spots than any other lawn patching mixture on the market. The seed establishment mulch in this product keeps the seedbed moist which ensures complete grass seed germination. The mulch will degrade into the soil within one month. The grass seed in Black Beauty® Lawn Repair germinates in 10 – 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over bare spots with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread product – Shake the bag prior to the application of this product. Spread the contents of Black Beauty® Lawn Repair for Sun & Shade on the loosened soil. See back of the bag for an example of proper coverage.
- Water – Water the area daily for 1 to 2 weeks, then water once a week, or as needed when mulch dries out. It is important to water the seedbed for sufficient grass seed germination and expansion of the mulch to provide soil coverage.
- Germination – New grass should start to germinate in 10 – 14 days. Seed germinates once soil temperatures reach 55°F. Lawn Repair mulch will eventually biodegrade into the soil.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn. Low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 4.5 lb Bag
- Covers up to 100 sq. ft.
- 13.5 lb Bag
- Covers up to 300 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall Fescue, Perennial Rye, & Kentucky Bluegrass
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 10 – 14 days
Click the button below to view and download a pdf of the product label.
Product works great, especially when you add more Black Beauty grass seed to it. Only issue is after grass is established, full and thick, brown spots start to appear and the grass dies in those spots. Maybe the mulch retains too much water. JG, any thoughts?
JG Response: It could be fungus or insects. If you see this happen again, please email us through our FAQ site and we will ask for photos to figure out what is going on.
I followed the instructions to a T and it’s been 5 weeks and nothing. Haven’t had a single spout.
JG response: The end of June is not a good time to seed cool season grass. When soil temperatures are above 70°, cool-season grass seed can have poor seed germination or even seedling death.
I purchased 3- 13.5 lb bags of the lawn repair. I followed all of the instructions and not one blade of grass is growing. Very disappointed in this product. Might switch to Scotts.
JG Response: Please email us through our FAQ page for help.
This product does exactly what it says it does. Very cool.
I am happy with this grass seed. It grew fast and is very green. Make sure top 3 inches or so of soil is loose and not compacted and water regularly. I will buy again
Sprouted in the sun and shade, good soil and bad, including a large area around a patio we just built. If nothing else it appears to be holding the fort until the native grass moves in.
Winter has come and gone and this grass persisted and is pressing on nicely.
Works pretty good!
Just loosen the area up apply product then water daily. Wahlahh you have grass within 10 days.Nice!
Wonderful product. I’m growing grass where I could never grow grass before.
These grass seeds work! Make your dead brown winter lawn…dark green and healthy looking with Black Beauty rye grass seed of dark green! I put these seeds out where there was no summer grass…in a few days…sprouts of green popped up! Now the rye grass is spreading to the dead summer grass. I have never seen snow on green grass before! Just beautiful! Just be sure to water it…after you put out the seeds. We now have the prettiest and greenest winter lawn in OUR area! Sit back and enjoy your beautiful fall and winter lawn. Sooooooo very EASY to use and do! Take pride in growing a healthy lawn, DIY!!!!
Worked well and matched my Black Beauty seeded lawn.
so far so good. Bought this small bag to fill in some patches here and there. raked up the dead grass, sprinkled seed in spots. after a 4 days of rain and germination has happeneds in most of the dead spots i seeded. Under a shady tree is taking a bit longer, although there i some germination. I did rake up the area a little more the other day and sprinkle more seed. hopefully that does it. I’m impressed w/the quickness of germination. I Guess the 4 days of rain helped as well which I’m glad we got! My neighbor who has a lush green lawn told me of jonathan green and swears by it. so I decided to give it a shot.
Wow! Germinated in 5 days and is still growing strong after 4 weeks! Just keep it damp and don’t let it dry out.
This product works much better than the stuff we previously bought at Lowes. Our neighbor who does landscaping recommended this to us when we told him we were not happy with our lawn using the Lowes products. My husband takes care of the lawn, but he did try this last year and it worked great. Just remember that you have to aerate the lawn before you put this down if you want optimum results. Amazing how many people don’t realize this, then complain about the product not working. Also, you have to water it adequately. This would be common sense to me, but again some people think they just throw down seed and new grass will appear like magic.
Fastest growing grass seed i have ever used. Good stuff if you plant it correctly
Great success in using it. High and fast rate of germination.
Amazing stuff…Grass grew within 10 days. Make sure to really core aerate the areas that need to be seeded; before spreading out the seed. Then water. The first time I just raked the ground then added the seed. Second time, I aerated the ground by putting small holes around the needed area, the grass grew perfectly. Plus no birds came to eat up the seeding.
Frequently Bought Together
4.7317073170732 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
4.8297872340426 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® for Lawns in Acidic SoilConcentrated calcium soil food with humates that rapidly raises & balances soil pH.
3.3333333333333 out of 5
New American Lawn® Standard Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 9 inch tires that holds up to 40 lbs of product.
N/A out of 5
Pro pH & Moisture Soil TesterTool to accurately measure pH & moisture levels in the soil.