Browse by Category
Black Beauty® Sunny Grass Seed
- Great heat and drought tolerance
- Naturally insect resistant
- Waxy leaf coating preserves moisture in the plant and protects the grass from disease
- Germinates in 7 - 14 days
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (30)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Sunny Grass Seed contains turfgrass varieties that perform best in full sun growing conditions due to their ability to tolerate heat and have great drought resistance. These Black Beauty® turf-type tall fescues possess a waxy leaf coating, like the skin on an apple, which preserves moisture by limiting evaporation and shielding the grass leaves from turf disease. This product performs particularly well on slopes where water runs off and in lawns with a southern exposure, whereas regular grass seed mixtures succumb to heat and drought stress. This seed germinates in 7 – 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 1 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 850 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 425 sq. ft.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,550 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,275 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 5,950 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 2,975 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 21,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 10,625 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Perennial Rye, Kentucky Bluegrass, & Tall Fescue
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Fair
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 7 – 14 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Have no problems with the seed.
Good product, used to over seed my lawn.
I didn’t realize how much I liked my grass until I bought Sod for my backyard. Sod was easy to install, but the maintenance is so much more. My seed can go every other day maybe 2 days without water and be fine. My Sod starts drying out after one day. It’s also not as rooted. The seed can be stepped on and is fine, very durable. The trick is to place seed wherever you get weeds, grass will out grow the weeds.
pictures are the end of November, start of winter grass always has the same dark green color. thick blades. if you do it right and be patient, it will grow.
Loosen dirt rake Seeds in fall water everyday in beginning use a lot of seeds if starting fresh a lot
So didn’t follow the directions did my own thing. Broke up the ground(sand it’s Vegas) then spread the seed by hand and then a thin layer of manure. After 5 days I say half of the seed is sprouting and these are in patches that other grass hasn’t grown for me so pretty good hope it handles the summer heat. Oh and it’s been high 80s and low 90s all week and first few days was windy.
So far so good. The seed is germinating nicely.
It’s grass seed it grows grass and it works what more can be said
As the title states, it’s a bit slow to initially germinate compared to some other brands I’ve used, but once it does, it seems to grow pretty evenly. Of course, the hot, dry weather hasn’t helped even though I’ve been watering trice daily.
My yard sees full sun the bulk of the day, so hopefully this will do better than the other varieties I’ve tried.
Great for erosion control and grows quick but crap for grass. It’s all weeds.
Takes about 3 weeks good watering . Seed a seeds . Top with soil . Good luck!!!
Some grew, some didn’t. However at least the lawn looks green even if its weeds!
I liked the product.
Good for sun, I recommend .
Love this seed! We live in the middle of a desert and this flourishes in our sunny state!
Good green grass !
In terms of results, it work very well. I applied it with a fair amount of soil prep to rejuvenate a very poor lawn. Grub damage, weeds etc. I used an electric rototiller purchased on Amazon as well. The rototiller did the majority of the labor, I smoothed the patches out with a steel lawn rake, applied the seed and was sure to keep moist for 3 weeks. It sprouted well and appears to be the correct seed for full sun
This is a full sun grass seed. One pound. I was happy with this product.
It comes alive within one week to ten days. It fills in those bare areas,
and makes your lawn look great again. I recommend this product because
Jonathan Green grass seeds are easy to use. I just mixed the
seeds in a lawn soil mix, and just that fast there were grass
seedlings growing in the affected area. Water them often,
and you will get great results. Fertilize about six weeks after
the initial growth comes in. Best of luck!
My yard was bare… No grass whatsoever not even a weed. I placed this product in my yard and what an amazing growth. I will continue to purchase this product. Make sure you read the instructions very carefully. And the results will be amazing
The seed germinated in less than 10 days. I am happy to see that happen in the months of November and December. I water early in the day to avoid any possible frost overnight. The grass has a very deep green color. Very good product.
Birds love it
Grew quick, satisfied
I ordered this seed for a full sun area. I aerated the soil a bit and removed some of the dead grass patches, then just hand sprinkled the seed in various areas. I really did not expect much and figured the price was so reasonable that if nothing sprouted I wouldn’t be too disappointed. I am so impressed- in 10 days with a lot of Phoenix sun and a diligent daily watering schedule, I saw grass! Beautiful, lush, dark green grass! I do not know how this will hold up over an Arizona summer, but right now I have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. Five big stars!
Sprinkled these seeds under trees and they sprouted is a few days. Don’t expect thick sprouts, they are thin, wispy grass sprouts.
Frequently Bought Together
4.7105263157895 out of 5
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
4.6 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
4.5 out of 5
Organic Insect ControlProprietary blend of natural plant oils that kills over 100 surface feeding insects.
5 out of 5
Organic Lawn FoodAll-organic lawn fertilizer with 5 Plant & Animal proteins that safely feeds lawns for 10 wks.