Fast Grow Grass Seed
- Grows quick turf for bare spots and worn turf areas
- Contains annual ryegrass which germinates in 7 - 10 days
- Grows in full sun to medium shaded lawn areas
- Have a big event scheduled? Fast Grow grows grass Fast!
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (597)
Jonathan Green Fast Grow Grass Seed is a rapidly establishing grass seed mixture, designed to fill in troubled areas in lawns or grow an entirely new lawn quickly. Fast Grow seed mixture contains annual ryegrass which is the fastest germinating grass seed variety. Lawns grown from Fast Grow can be overseeded with any Black Beauty® Grass Seed Mixture to establish a thick, beautiful lawn that will persist for years to come. This seed germinates in 7 – 10 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 3,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,750 sq. ft.
- 15 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 7,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 3,750 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 12,500 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 6,250 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Ryegrasses, Tall Fescues & Fine Fescues
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Fair
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Good
Insect & Disease Resistance: Fair
High Traffic Tolerance: Fair
Planting Depth: 1/4 inches
Germination Time: 7 – 10 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Easy to use and great value for the money
I love it and it is growing in areas where I just put the seeds before it rain
Great winter grass, grows fast.
Works well. Grows thin and high grass but green
Had a high traffic area on my lawn and Jonathan Green seed fixed it
Love the product will recomend to anyone.
Loved this grass seed!
Just seeded my yard check back with me in 10 days
This stuff is amazing we completely tilled the area didn’t add any store bought soil and layed the seed. Pictures are about 2 week apart. Within a month boom we have grass.
Worked great at a great price.
I have 2 chihuahuas an this works great for their brown spots
I live in the Pacific Northwest and these seeds have worked the best for re seeding repair that I have found. I used them this fall in 60 degree weather and results of thick growth was up in about 7-10 days.
Grew fast filled in an area under summer pool quickly Great!
Not all planted have to wait until spring when it starts to grow.
Worked perfect. Filled in patches and grass loos great.
Wish you’d ask for a review when its had seven days to grow. Thus far it hasn’t come up. But I received the product in a timely manner just as indicated when I ordered and its a big bag that should go far in bringing my lawn back to life.
Sorry I can’t take pictures to let folks know whether or not it grows fast and looks good.
Sprouted really fast (within 5 days) so we didn’t lose a lot of seed in the 10 extra inches of rain that fell…
Yes, this product really works my yard is the best in the neighborhood.
Grass grew fast but literally died right away 🙁 Not sure what happened. Doesn’t seem very hearty and strong
I planted this seed in Texas on a Sunday evening in September and by Wednesday morning I had a good amount of grass already growing. PERFECT!! Will definitely buy again if needed!!
Fastest growing seed I’ve ever applied
We are very pleased with this grass seed ! It grows really fast .
delivery excellent, presentation and packing looks great, weather here not a good time to use but willlet know….
ordered this as i have a big yard but was disappointed when almost nothing grew now i just have little patches of grass instead of a full yard. wouldn’t buy again
i wanted a fast growing seed. these seeds are so good. Fast growing in sun or shade. the seeds are like magic beans. grows fast///
Completely recovered a large patch of grass killed off by dog urine. Impressive
I was very skeptical of the rapid growth n some of the reviews I had read but still took a chance and ordered 2 5lb bags to get sum grass in before the winter and WOW IT really came in fast 6 days n yes it’s a little thinner then I’d like but it is still lovely n does the job perfectly for a rush job n not expecting a miracle but I’ve gotten lots of compliments on our lawn thanks to Jonathan Greene’s fast grow grass even have a few friends going to order now because they loved the result
I have grass !
Best stuff I have ever found.
Just like to say I’m VERY IMPRESSED with your product grows fast and looks AMAZING
Happy customer in WV
We took out some plants that were there for years and were growing very well. So we planted this grass and it works wonderfully! Grew fast and full. Great for spots that you need to fill in.
Grew fast and looks great
Came in very good. Will have to wait and see how it does over winter and what comes up in spring. Very satisfied thus far.
I don’t leave reviews often, but this product disproves it. Grass growths unbelievably fast. The picture was taken 9 days after I put the seed down.
I was at first skeptical because we have tried many different ,supposedly the ultimate grass seed.
However, Jonathan green delivered.! I have 3 large dogs and I foster rescue dogs and our yard gets torn up!
I threw this seed dow, no prep and we had had a lot of rain and in 4 days it exploded! Long green blades everywhere.
SO far it is holding up tp the dogs. and is still growing. I did a second sow and used straw over it and we had a ton of rain the straw helped hold it and again an explosion and grass is growing in the weeds! I just threw this seed everywhere . I will be getting more to do another sowing for fall. Totally worth the money!!
I love this. You can pretty much grow grass on a rock. Best ever.
Great Buy! Works as advertised!
It not idea for the sun, the new grass is dying. It does grow fast and thin.
Bare spots that i couldn’t fix with other brands for months. Lush grass in weeks. Steroids seed.
OMG fast growing and beautiful
I like this grass seed. I have already ordered another bag and recommended this product to my brother.
It has been approximately 10 days since planting. I roto-tilled the ground, laid a layer of top soil, spread the seed, put down a thin layer of top soil and followed with thin layer of grass clippings. I watered to wet the ground every other day (no pooling). I am beginning to see some new grass in a very few spots. We have very poor hard dirt in this part of Wyoming, but after breaking it up and putting down top soil I expected better results. I had better results several years ago with seed advertised on TV to grow on anything. In that case I did not put down top soil or break up the ground and got much quicker and better results and it was less expensive. I am giving this seed 4 stars hoping that with time it will germinate more. The worst area of the lawn had been damaged just over a year ago when the neighbor had the gravel, in her yard, sprayed for weeds and the run off from that came into our yard killing a large strip of grass. I extensively tilled the soil in this area and put in top soil in hopes of rejuvenating this soil so the grass would take hold, so far no positive results from this seed. I am still giving 4 stars since it may take a little longer to germinate and there are all the other environmental problems also. I think the price point was somewhat high for this seed.
I am updating my review. A few days after my first review and 2 natural rains the grass seed took off. You could almost watch it grow. It responds much better to rain water than residential water. It filled in the entire strip that had accidentally gotten poisoned last summer. I now have areas that have grass that have been bare for years. I have almost an entire yard of healthy grass and it is improving daily. I have had excellent results now and am upping my review to 5 stars.
I have lived in my house for 12 years and my front yard is almost all shade I have tried everything (including sod that died in year two, yes I watered it) on this yard, grass seed, clover you name it hell I would have been happy with crab grass. I started with all dirt that’s how bad the “lawn” was I power raked it and simply spread the seed (I did not put any loom over the seed but did put a half a bag of scotts turf builder lawn food I had from the year before) and watered the heck out of it everyday by day 6 you could see it sprouting and by day 10 full lawn green and plush. Try it you won’t be disappointed.
Frequently Bought Together
Grub & Insect ControlDual action control for surface feeding insects, a single application kills grubs all season long.
Lawn Weed ControlBroadleaf weed control, with Trimec technology, use to control 200+ weeds.
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.