Browse by Category
Top Dress™ Seedling Cover and Growth Accelerator
- Prevents wash outs and erosion
- Contains seed starter food for deep rooting
- Keeps the seedbed moist to hasten germination
- Safe, biodegradable, and conceals seed from birds
- Reviews (0)
Jonathan Green’s Top Dress™ Seedling Cover and Growth Accelerator protects new grass seedlings by preventing washouts and erosion of the seedbed while simultaneously concealing the seed from birds. Good seed to soil contact and consistent moisture are required to get new turf grass seedlings off to a proper start.
The mulch swells to encase the seed in a warm moist blanket. Once the new grass plants are rooted, the mulch biodegrades and disappears into the soil so there is no need for removal. Mow the new lawn when the turf grass grows three inches tall. Germination time for this seed depends on the seed mixture planted.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Spread – Spread grass seed over the planting area you want to newly seed or reseed. Refer to the back of grass seed bag on how to apply.
- Protect – Wear gloves to spread Top Dress by hand or use a lawn spreader set to the largest opening.
- Rake – Rake the Top Dress mulch evenly over the seeded area. Some soil and grass seed should be visible through the mulch.
- Apply – Apply Top Dress only on lawns and gardens and sweep up any product that lands on the sidewalk or driveway to avoid staining.
- Water – Water the area gently until puddling occurs but do not over water. Keep the top 1 inch of soil moist by watering daily for the first 14 days or until the new grass growth appears. Reduce watering to twice a week. Top Dress mulch will absorb the water and expand to cover the grass seed. Do not remove Top Dress, it will biodegrade naturally.
- Mow – Mow the new grass once it is 3 inches tall. Never scalp the grass by removing more than half the grass blade while mowing. This stresses the grass which results in thinning and bare spots.
- 15 lb Bag
- Flat Lawns – 250 sq. ft.
- Sloped Lawns – 200 sq. ft.
- 45 lb Bag
- Flat Lawns – 750 sq. ft.
- Sloped Lawns – 600 sq. ft.
Recommended Months To Apply:
- March through mid-June
- August through October
Water Requirements: Keep irrigated for 2 weeks or until seed is established
Contains: 100% Recycled Paper (Cellulose Fiber), Corn Fiber, Green Dye and Fertilizer (including 1% controlled release Nitrogen)
Frequently Bought Together
4.8659217877095 out of 5
Black Beauty® Ultra Grass SeedFastest establishing Black Beauty Mixture that will improve any lawn it is seeded into.
4.5555555555556 out of 5
Green-Up Fertilizer for Seeding & SoddingLawn Food for use on newly planted seed & sod producing healthy, deep roots.
5 out of 5
Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard SoilUnique soil food combo for lawns to rapidly raise pH, loosen compaction & stimulate soil microbes.
4.75 out of 5
Soil pH Test KitEasy to use kit that quickly determines soil pH. Get results in only 10 minutes!