Black Beauty® Keystone Pennsylvania Grass Seed
- Specially formulated for Pennsylvania lawns
- Grows dark green, drought-resistant, and highly durable lawns
- Grows best in full sun to medium shaded areas
- Germinates 10 - 14 days
- Spreader Settings
- Reviews (0)
Black Beauty® Keystone Pennsylvania Grass Seed is a premium, all-purpose grass seed mixture specifically designed for the climates of the state of Pennsylvania. It thrives in full sun to medium shaded lawn areas. It provides an attractive, perennial, healthy, dark-green lawn. Black Beauty Keystone is naturally insect and disease-resistant. Grass seed germinates in 10 – 14 days. Black Beauty varieties root deeply, possess a waxy leaf coating to preserve moisture, have a uniform growth habit, and are grown by leading sod growers across the United States.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Test your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55°+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water lightly each morning to keep the seedbed moist. In sandier soils that dry out quickly watering more than once a day may be needed. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,125 sq. ft.
7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,400 sq. ft.
25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 10,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 5,000 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall Fescues, Perennial Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool-season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Excellent
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 10 – 14 days
The spreader settings listed are approximate. Spreader condition, rate of walk, and humidity are just some of the variables that can affect the rate of application. Please refer to the product label link on this page, or the back of the bag, for further details along with application rates and precautionary statements. You may need to adjust settings for proper coverage if circumstances described on the label are applicable. In all cases, the user should read and follow label instructions before applying any product, and assumes all responsibility when using this spreader settings tool.
Frequently Bought Together
Green-Up Fertilizer for Seeding & SoddingLawn Food for use on newly planted seed & sod producing healthy, deep roots.
Mag-I-Cal® for Lawns in Acidic SoilConcentrated calcium soil food with humates that rapidly raises & balances soil pH.
Love Your Soil®Soil food that stimulates microbes to build topsoil while loosening hard, compacted soil.
New American Lawn® Deluxe Rotary SpreaderSpreader with large 12 inch tires that holds up to 60 lbs of product.